Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Another!

Well, like I expected, I’ve been lax in updating this blog. For that, I apologize. Not even really sure who outside my immediate family reads it, but for what it’s worth the apology is sincere.

Really, there hasn’t been much going on that is of too much interest in the last 2 weeks that’s been worth posting.

I really did intend on going out with a motographer and getting a ton of motographs so you all could see me, the mo and Beijing. Unfortunately, a combination of bad weather, extremely itchy facial hair and lack of willing personnel meant that I could only really provide one crappy self-shot of the mo right before it got shaven off. It’s attached below, along with some miscellaneous (bad) photos snapped during the time I had the moustache.

In other body hair news, I did get a haircut. Finally. After going over 2.5 months without trimming or doing anything with my mop-top, I decided that it’s just hair and if it was REALLY bad I would just shave it and wear a toque. 8 kuai later (CAD $1.46 for you at home), I was the proud owner of a half-decent cut from a young man in the barbershop below my classroom.

Laundry side note: If you don’t clean a towel for long enough, it becomes stiff enough to poke someone with it. Ask my roommate. It also starts to smell funky. I’m currently doing laundry and stewing my towel in a cocktail of laundry soap and boiling water. Who knows if it’s going to work. It’s not like towels are a pricey commodity; I paid a whopping 15块 for mine, so I’m not going to be heartbroken if I have to buy a new one.

Other than that, I guess the only really significant updates are having to do with money and sleep. Namely that I’ve got less and less of either.

I’ve been sleeping less and less lately. For some reason, no matter what time I go to bed or what I do before I hit the hay, I just toss and turn for hours before finally nodding off. This usually results in me obliviously sleeping right through my alarm and missing a class or two in the mornings. I don’t really know what’s going on there, but I’m open to suggestions for helping me get to sleep.

Moneywise, I’ve tried my damndest to stick to a budget while in Beijing, and I largely have. Unfortunately, going away parties and a social life have slowly chewed away at my funds. A Canadian dollar worth about 20% less than what it was when I arrived does NOT help (though it means the MASSIVE chunk of money I get back from my dorm payment is more favorably exchanged into Canadian). I have enough left to get me through if I’m REALLY stingy and don’t buy anything big, but like I said it’s getting less and less. I haven’t touched my line of credit or my credit card yet though, so there’s always options. I’m not destitute and it’s not like I’m nickel-and-diming myself out of a good time, so most of it’s just needless obsessing.

Other than that, not much exciting in the land of Me. I DID get to make a bizarre but tasty “Pumpkin Style Dessert” one of my classmates had received from home in America despite her hating pumpkin pie. So Sarah and I made ‘Dorm-Pie’. It was a weird, weird texture but really tasty. It certainly managed to assuage my pumpkin pie cravings, which is something I’m really missing. Then I remembered Egg Nog and almost cried.

Anyways, as you can see it’s going fairly well. I’m going to tell you all now that I will update sooner. Hopefully I will hold to that promise this time!

Off to see how my towel-stew is going. Hopefully more flexible and less odorous.

Hope this finds you all well,

Nathan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh.... that would be my laundry technique as well if I were living alone. *sniff*

Glad to hear things are going good. I read your blog too, doncha know.

Yeah, I can see missing eggnog. I've been living on it for 2 or 3 weeks already, building up my fat reserves for the winter.

In the middle of exams at the moment, which is to say in the middle of slacking on the night before an exam. I've discovered, though, that if you listen to really good classical music (e.g., Bach's 5th Brandenburg concerto) you can study but it still *feels* like you're slacking.

Keep on representing Jianada in the Middle Kingdom, yo.

Take care man,
-Ian